Monday 28 January 2008

taare zameen par

A much awaited directorial debut, the story of a child, simply told, simply felt. I went without any expectations whatsoever to see this movie. Infact I was clearly avoiding seeing this one, if only to prevent any disappointment. I came out of the cinema a convert of sorts. In the battle of the Khans I have carefully avoided sides so far. Not anymore. Aamir rules.

I loved the movie. Every tiny amply criticised bit of it. Even the now infamous picture book that almost every review I have read has lashed out on. I must confess that I see a movie as an audience, and not as a reviewer, and I always look at the final product and the impact that it leaves on me. For me, it is more often than not, a matter of connection with the medium of cinema, an emotional involvement. I dont understand technicalities, but if a director is making an obviously honest and good attempt, I will help him take me where he wants me to be in order to appreciate what he is trying to get across. In this instance, I fell for the fascinating attempt to present the world from a child's perspective, the enchantment with roadside views and the comic book driven imagination. And perhaps Aamir has played to the crowds (the ending was so about the way out, things can be alright if we care enough and so on), but I think every tear drenched handkerchief in the cinema hall was silently praying for some good hindi-movie miracle to come help the little boy. How many people identified with dyslexia? Perhaps a few. But how many identified with the bit about stifling a child's creativity, the pressure to succeed at all costs? Everyone. We suffer and then we make our children suffer, because thats the only way we know.

Taare zameen par touched a chord with everyone in my family. Everyone overlooked the fact that not all Ishaan's of the world will have a happy ending, but then, sometimes I think, a movie like this one needs to end positively to help us believe in the power of caring enough. A brilliant first attempt Aamir. Good job done.

No comments: