Sunday 20 January 2008

Meet the Robinsons

An animation movie with a futuristic twist. Not my usual cup of tea. Or so I thought. Of late though I have seen a few animated films that suggest the days of fairytales and mickey mouse (as much as I loved them) are behind us and they have been replaced by slick, cutting edge, life-like animation. Meet the Robinsons is a message movie that lets you arrive at the right conclusion yourself. I am assuming the target audience is school going population thats struggling to deal with failures and negativity. The movie is about learning from mistakes and moving on. A lesson that could get preachy but stays fun and fast in this time-machine drama.


I also liked the curious element of villany in the film. The bad guy, or in this case the hat is controlling the bad guy, is actually an invention of the good guy. Ideas are not good or bad, it is what we choose to do with them that makes them either. A heartwarming movie about taking ownership of your life, making your decisions and living to see the very happy everafter.


A quick word for animation quality of today. It is unimaginably brilliant. I saw 'Cars' a couple of months ago and was absolutely blown away. The concept was brilliant and it was brought to life by some truly exceptional imagery on screen. And of course, we all know about Shrek.


Meet the Robinsons is a good movie for all ages, especially growing children who are still learning about choices and making those choices. A tad slow on the take off though, or maybe that was just me nursing a terrible hangover...

No comments: