Friday 25 January 2008

marketplace finds

Yesterday was a day of many firsts. One of the more interesting ones was the first solitary trip to the marketplace in the last three months. And I enjoyed it thoroughly. When you are by yourself, you can visit places that you are most interested in, like the bookshop, the haberdashery, the tea shop and the crockery section of the home store without your irritable companions either politely sulking or loudly complaining. The manifest purpose of the trip was to pick up a gift for a baby we were visiting last evening, but I ended up treating myself to some very interesting finds.

While loitering about the home section, I came across some beautiful teapots, ivory with multicolor polka dots. While I fancied one for myself a great deal, I moved on. Just as I resisted the temptation of the teapots, I found myself surrounded by the most exquisite crystal candle holders. It is indeed remarkable how some of them are moulded to such breathtaking shapes. Unicorns, ducks, roses and sea shells, you name it and you could have a candle holder in the shape. Charming I say.

Moving briskly along, as I admired the new patterns that Cath Kidston have come out with in dinnerware, I found the most interesting objects ever - super large mugs outlining interesting highlights of different sports. So you have a rugby mug and a football mug. I was fascinated by the cricket mug which had the cricket pitch, some critical rules of the game, anecdotal facts and figures, and history of the game. I had to have one for A who I knew would love it!


Just as I was about to leave, feeling proud of my exceptional find, I came across the solar system mug, hiding behind the music mug! Its got the whole solar system on it, vital stats for each planet and, bless it, even includes Pluto as one of the planets! A little old fashioned and quaint piece of history never hurts! It was then decided that the cricket mug would have a companion in the solar system mug!

A good first day on my own in the wide, wild world of the high street!

1 comment:

Tess said...

It is good fun to travel alone at times, just to soak in just the things you want, at just your own pace. I've enjoyed a similar experiance sometimes, looking through books, browsing into a handicrafts store, just for the sheer pleasure of window shopping !