Wednesday 30 April 2008

Wives and Daughters

It has been just what was expected of it - a nice and calming read. And the reviews were right, its one of the most impressive works where character sketching is concerned. I think the book was something special because the author was able to create such amazingly real people, not good, not bad, just people, products of their circumstances.
I have quite enjoyed it, but will remember it forever because I so much looked forward to the build up to the end, and then was rudely told that there wasn't one. Elizabeth Gaskell died before she could write the last chapter. I was like :-o Unbelievable! The editors wrote what she had planned with the last chapter, the whole ending spread out like threads, cloth, scissors, needles and the embroidery frame. Its impossible to see the whole picture, the beautiful creation that only she could have designed. Without her hand, the raw material is is just that, life and meaningless.
Now that I have read two of Mrs Gaskell's works (Cranford and Wives and Daughters) I am convinced I will go back and read more.

No comments: