Saturday 19 April 2008

of insignificantly small things that make me smile

On my way back home yesterday, I decidedly put the book in my hand back in the bag. With a slight rush of nervousness preceding a new or long since unpracticed activity, I gazed out of the train window. It was just the day for such an exercise - 6:45 in the evening yet the right amount of light from the setting sun.

Friday evening, a week well spent behind you, the prospect of a good dinner with friends ahead - is there really anything more that one can ask for from life? As I contentedly planned the weekend ahead, the train screeched into Wimbledon. On the platform, there was a young girl sporting blue jeans and a black jacket, not interested in the 7:02 train to Shepperton, buried in the yellow book in her hand with a slight sweet smile on her face. I strained to see what she was reading. She looked so understandingly absorbed in and mesmerised by what she was reading, I wanted to know what it was. I bent forward in an attempt to catch the name, much to the wonder of my fellow travellers. The train's doors closed and I knew I had only seconds if I were to find out... I panicked slightly at the thought of living with the mystery. I had to find out - please God help me just this once and I shall never ask for anything else ever, promise!

The wheels turned slowly and my heart started sinking. It is not to be, I thought, I will just have to go to Waterstones and look at all the yellow books and see which one matches that particular shade of yellow... despair... dismay...please please please... and she lifted the book just that tiny bit to change the page... and I caught the unmistakable words as the chug chug of the wheels picked up speed and she went out of sight - A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini!

I smiled my way back home. Its one of my favorite books, a present from a distant friend, and I have loved every moment spent reading it. Good choice, girl in blue jeans and black jacket!

No comments: