Saturday 31 May 2008

Role reversal

In the last few years, I have realised something that I now am convinced is a fact. Parents, as they grow older, increasingly become child-like, and their children have to adopt the roles previously undertaken by the parents.
The older they get, the more indecisive, dependent and vulnerable parents become. If the children assume their 'parental' responsibilities easily, without resistance, and dare I say with love, the transition is smooth. Otherwise, its trouble time.
I have increasingly been battling with this thought since mum met with an accident in January and I couldn't be with her. And now that a friend is in a similar situation, I can't help but think how life changes. And how roles get reversed before we can even understand what's happening.

No comments: