Saturday 24 May 2008

handle with care

Reality is so odd, it is seldom what it appears. Yet we often rely on 'reality checks' . How useful is a check based on a fragile notion? Is anything really worth our undying attention and single minded devotion when the sand castles of hopes and dreams provide such fleeting stability?
When someone you love is deeply hurt, and all you can think of is how you can lessen their pain, what do you do? Do you ask them to stop thinking of their sorrow and take them out for a change of scenery, perhaps to the pub to drown the pain in vodka and (cynical?) laughter? Or do you hold them close, let them cry, deal with their pain, help them wash their face, cry a little more, sigh in resignation and then take them out for a simple meal? I don't know which way is the right way. I wish I did.
My home is sad today. And so is my heart. I wish I had the abundance of strength to let the light in.

No comments: