Saturday 12 January 2013

Life of Pi

It was a fantastic watch. I had read the book a few years back, when it had just become a rage. I remember itching to discuss it with someone, anyone who had read it. I found no one back then. Despite persistent urging, Arun failed to read the book. So I had to make do with my own version of the story, my own interpretation of it.

I approached the movie with some nervousness. I had enjoyed the book immensely and wasn't too keen on a visual account of it that clashed with mine, or worse still, trashed the whole story. But I had the option to go out with a girlfriend, and it was going to be a movie, so we settled on this one.

I am so glad we did. For once, a cinematic account of a novel that was almost exactly as I had visualised the story in my head. Completely as I had imagined it, gone over it many times, in my mind. The picturisation was beautiful, very sympathetic to, and in line with, the story in the book. I hate it when directors take liberties with the story line. So glad they didn't with Pi. The 3D animation was quite stunning. Irrfan Khan, as always, brilliant. Suraj Sharma is a fresh, great talent. The background score is absolutely spot on. Richard Parker, hmmm, the animation could have been a shade less human in its portrayal of emotions from a tiger, but overall, very good. Such a well made film, just the right length. An absolute joy.

Seeing the movie, after having read the book several years back, brought back the same anguish I experienced back then, with a feverish desire to discuss the story with someone. So I promptly booked Arun to go and see the movie. Which he did. And liked. A lot. What ensued was an evening of happy, animated discussion. And, for once in many years, it had nothing to do with the children! It was all about Mr Parker and Mr Patel!

So here's something for you to think about.

a. Which story did you like better?
b. Which story do you believe?
c. If you believe the story with the tiger, where do you think reality ended and hallucinations, if any, began?
d. If you believe the story with the mother and the cook, where does the carnivorous island fit in?
e. Who was Richard Parker? Really?
f. What is the significance of Richard Parker leaving without a goodbye?

It's all about your interpretation of it, isn't it?

Lovely read. Great watch.

No comments: