Monday 18 January 2010

New beginnings


Day one of N going full time to nursery. I am struggling to find words to describe how it feels, as I have struggled to say anything for the last few weeks. Children between the age 6-18 months go through varying degrees of separation anxiety. N appears to suffer from a severe form of it. And so do I.

The new year has come and gone a little old already. When did this happen? I was busy battling snow, ice on the roads, a distressed 11 month old and my own feelings of despair at separation from him. The snow has gone, leaving behind a grey, dull fog. The weather seems to mirror my mind for the moment.

Yet, in the spirit of all things new, hope abounds all around, only waiting to be picked up and celebrated. I start work in a few days, A is expanding his team at work and life engulfs us in all its many shapes and forms.

Happy not-so-new year.

P.S. This photograph of the Big Ben was taken on a beautiful summer evening at Westminster in 2009.

1 comment:

Arun Raman said...

This winter seems to be never ending - bone marrow freezing! The picture of the Big Ben towards the end of summer brings back some fond memories indeed!