Wednesday 27 January 2010

Connections


While I have been away on baby duty, some very interesting things have happened. And some exciting connections have been made, with people and ideas. It all started, quite benignly, here. And before I knew it, I was a convert.

Many many years ago, a then friend had insightfully suggested that yoga would suit me well. But you know how caught-up with our own mind-blocks we are as we strive to 'discover' ourselves, I never thought twice about it. What a waste of a good many years.

Not to worry. Three decades, two continents and one baby later, I think I am finally beginning to make sense of it all. I have managed a good deal of reading lately (honestly, no clue how) and my 'now reading' list is ancient - serious updates are in order.

Following on from my absolute addiction to the mindfulness cds by Jon Kabat-Zinn, it was only a matter of time before I started devouring his books. And this is how I discovered 'Everyday blessings - the inner work of mindful parenting' by the Kabat-Zinns. If there is one book that I have connected with with all my being, it is this one. The title does it little justice I'm afraid - it is one of the most amazingly warm, kindly written books I have ever read.

Sarah Napthali, here, tries to say the same thing without making much of a point or interesting read. Can be easily avoided if one wants to keep repetition and boredom at bay.

No, I don't meditate regularly though I would love to be able to at some point. However, this book by Pema Chodron makes you want to give up everything to free the clutter in your mind, to open your heart in kindness and to fill your lungs with happiness. Totally life-affirming, gently and brilliantly written.

As you might guess, I have had a million plus questions since mindfulness has woven its charms over me. Many a lazy afternoons have been spent with the babies climbing all over us, us attempting to balance tea and cake with super-inquisitive little ones eager to grab everything, and heart-warming chats about knowing ourselves for who we really our.

1 comment:

Arun Raman said...

Fortunate are those people who recognise the worth of slowing down and actually doing such things. The rat race is a never ending one; catching one rat leads to the desire of catching a bigger, faster rat and on and on...Heartening to see that the family is being balanced very well indeed.