Tuesday 11 March 2008

Book vs Ipod

I accepted early on in life that tech-savvy is not an adjective that can be used to describe me. However, I have been taken in by the excitement of the ipod and have spent much time getting my favorite songs into this marvelously mini, magical gadget.

It has not been a happy rendezvous - for the following reasons:

How is one expected to listen to beautiful music and not sing along? I find it extremely difficult to keep myself from singing and swaying to music amidst the grim, stone-faced London commuters.

Music, according to me, is to be enjoyed with people. Or it is to accompany another task. I can hardly remember a moment when I listened to music just for music itself, except for school when life was very different. I find it very difficult now to not be multitasking... Left to music and nothing else, I tend to panic.

You can't lose yourself in the ipod. Its a brilliant piece of equipment but does nothing to transport me to another world - on the contrary, I am constantly worried I will miss some earth shatteringly significant announcement made by the South West trains...

No, its not going to work for me, I know. So, without wasting another day, I dashed out to find the nearest Waterstones outlet near my workplace. And you can imagine my joy when I realised that the largest outlet that the chain has in London is a 10 minutes walk from my office. An unending world of books! Now thats a find I can congratulate myself on!

No comments: