Monday 2 February 2015

A perspective or two

I've been so awfully unwell this past week I doubt I've felt this bad an awful lot before. Terrible flu, GP refusing to give antibiotics, kids refusing to get off me, all in all it felt very much as if the universe was conspiring against me. I was soon proved wrong though. Everyone around me, husband, friends, everyone seems to be afflicted by these bugs and nasties doing the rounds. All kids are being adorable and painful simultaneously, and everyone has had tough decisions to make.
A sedative induced sleep has its benefits though. It leaves you in a blur, giving a unique perspective on things. It equalises things rather beautifully - nothing is too good, everything is equally bad? It was in that blurry state when I was fighting to close eyes and Babi was forcing them open that I realised that options are more often than not illusions that we entertain ourselves with. Like the concept of multiple universes, different options exist only in the realm of hypothesis. Reality is one. Tangible. True. Testable. 
And it was this realisation that gave me the strength to say no today. To an offer that was just short of derisory. It burst my bubble of "options". I choose to live in the world of reality of my own making, thank you very much. It has no frills attached, and is frankly quite barebone, but I think that has something to do with its honesty. It has taken me all this while and truckloads of strength to get here. Not minded to give it all up so easily. 
Babi made me this get well soon card. With lots of flowers in her favourite colours. Love love love! 


No comments: